Reply

Thread: Diet Coke? Yes or no

  1. 04-24-2015, 05:22 PM #1

    Registered User Csbbxo's Avatar


    Csbbxo is offline

    Exclamation Diet Coke? Yes or no

    I usually just stick to my cups of tea (not a coffee drinker) and water. I'm not really too fond on fizzy and sugary drinks (taste wise)

    Out of curiosity, who here consumes diet coke? I mean, although it says to have 0 calories and 0 sugar, it must have some sort of disadvantage? (Apart from causing temporary bloating)

    A fail is never a fail, just so long as there was an attempt.

    Reply With Quote


  2. 04-24-2015, 06:25 PM #2

    Registered User cjobson's Avatar


    cjobson is offline

    I absolutely love soda, especially Dr. Pepper. But I steer clear of it, ESPECIALLY the diet. I just feel so bloated and I find that I wind up craving more sugary things after I drink it.

    Did you hear that Diet Coke is actually removing the aspartame? Unfortunately they're just replacing it with sucralose though. Talk about spinning their wheels for nothing. I honestly got excited about it before hearing that they were just replacing it with aspartame's cousin.

    Reply With Quote


  3. 04-24-2015, 07:07 PM #3

    Focus on yourself kimm4's Avatar


    kimm4 is offline

    I've never been a big soda drinker but I do drink it occasionally. There's nothing wrong with having some diet soda and there's no disadvantage.

    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

    Nutrition Coach/Trainer:
    http://www.iron-kim.com

    Reply With Quote


  4. 04-24-2015, 07:22 PM #4

    It's Over 9000!!! rdferguson's Avatar


    rdferguson is offline

    Aspartame is pretty much harmless. The health concerns about it originated almost exclusively through a spam email back in the 90's, credited to a doctor who didn't exist. Lots of research has been done on aspartame and it doesn't live up to its evil reputation at all.

    I drink Diet Coke. It doesn't taste quite as good as regular Coke, but it's very-low calories (I think it's slightly above 0kcal/serving...like 4kcal/can or something), and I actually find regular soft drink incapacitates me if I have too much of it, whereas diet just makes me pee after a while.

    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

    Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

    Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

    Reply With Quote


  5. 04-24-2015, 07:31 PM #5

    Registered Schmoozer LollyLifts2015's Avatar


    LollyLifts2015 is offline

    I love me some diet coke! I used to drink it every day. No harm, no foul in having diet coke (unless you're sensitive to artificial sweeteners).

    If I'm not in the mood for diet coke (love that it comes caffeine-free too, BTW), but still want something that "feels" carbonated, I love sparkling water with a little Crystal Light. Stuff is so good!

    ❤ Humor iss all in the arm. ❤
    ❤ I'm just here for the snacks. ❤

    Reply With Quote


  6. 04-24-2015, 07:37 PM #6

    Focus on yourself kimm4's Avatar


    kimm4 is offline

    I like my diet dr pepper when dieting down for shows. Something about it just hits the spot.

    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

    Nutrition Coach/Trainer:
    http://www.iron-kim.com

    Reply With Quote


  7. 04-24-2015, 07:41 PM #7

    Registered Schmoozer LollyLifts2015's Avatar


    LollyLifts2015 is offline

    Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post

    I like my diet dr pepper when dieting down for shows. Something about it just hits the spot.

    Oh yeah! Diet DP Love!!❤ Sometimes... It just hits the spot!

    ❤ Humor iss all in the arm. ❤
    ❤ I'm just here for the snacks. ❤

    Reply With Quote


  8. 04-24-2015, 11:06 PM #8

    Dr Vic viccles007's Avatar


    viccles007 is offline

    Love post mix diet coke. Try to avoid it though - just find it makes me really hungry!

    Instagram: vicclesloveskarate
    New log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170156703&p=1416249753#post1416249753
    Old log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166758171
    Old log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157799473&highlight=Vic%27s+log

    Reply With Quote


  9. 04-25-2015, 06:50 AM #9

    Registered User runliftandlove's Avatar


    runliftandlove is offline

    I drink it. I honestly think the "studies" of gaining weight or whatever are related to the fact some people drink diet coke and think they can eat whatever and that's why they gain weight haha

    Reply With Quote


  10. 04-25-2015, 07:24 AM #10

    Jerk of All Trades LunaLifts's Avatar


    LunaLifts is offline

    I don't drink soda as often as I used to, but I still pick up diet Dr Pepper occasionally. Otherwise I try to stick to carbonated flavored water as a soda substitute.

    PRs: 95lbs/126lbs/212lbs
    Next Goals: 100lbs/150lbs/215lbs

    Reply With Quote


  11. 04-25-2015, 07:54 AM #11

    Do I even lift?!? megdaig's Avatar


    megdaig is offline

    I enjoy a diet soda occassionally, only when they're provided though, as I don't buy coke myself. I especially crave a diet coke when I've drank so much water my head hurts, like this past week as I've been sick as a dog and downing the water.

    Coming out of "retirement"...Meg is training for a Figure competition...again!!!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171008551&pagenumber=

    My first ever training journal: Oh snap....Meg-O's training for a Figure comp...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139228463

    Reply With Quote


  12. 04-26-2015, 05:22 AM #12

    Registered User leeniepie's Avatar


    leeniepie is offline

    diet drinks are no big deal, as already said most of the artificial sweetener stuff is media hype. the subject of the hupe just changes. currently everyone thinks stevia is great but it got banned in several countries for being dangerous. give it a few years till everythings loaded with the stuff and we'll be told its toxic and to avoid it and there'll be something new around that's fine for you (for a few years at least lol)

    I ignore it all. I drink diet drinks as its what ive had all my life (was hyperactive as a kid) so full sugar drinks taste disgusting to me. cant drink fruit juice coz of my IBS and get sick of water sometimes, so some no added sugar squash or diet coke/pepsi/7up is a nice change. flavoured sparkling water is also nice

    Reply With Quote


  13. 04-26-2015, 06:02 AM #13

    Stopped drinking sodas years ago - and never could stomach the tasted of any diet drink at all. If I do have the occasional soda, it's Pepsi or Sprite, never the diet version.

    Reply With Quote


  14. 04-26-2015, 12:23 PM #14

    Registered User JulietteChelsea's Avatar


    JulietteChelsea is offline

    I usually drink a diet coke with dinner. The carbonation in general keeps me feeling ''full''. Other than that I only drink water/tea during the day.

    My Fitness Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/JulietteChelsea/videos

    Reply With Quote


  15. 04-27-2015, 02:41 AM #15

    Do I even lift?!? megdaig's Avatar


    megdaig is offline

    Originally Posted by leeniepie View Post

    diet drinks are no big deal, as already said most of the artificial sweetener stuff is media hype. the subject of the hupe just changes. currently everyone thinks stevia is great but it got banned in several countries for being dangerous. give it a few years till everythings loaded with the stuff and we'll be told its toxic and to avoid it and there'll be something new around that's fine for you (for a few years at least lol)

    I ignore it all. I drink diet drinks as its what ive had all my life (was hyperactive as a kid) so full sugar drinks taste disgusting to me. cant drink fruit juice coz of my IBS and get sick of water sometimes, so some no added sugar squash or diet coke/pepsi/7up is a nice change. flavoured sparkling water is also nice

    And when you think about it, everything is toxic in the right quantity. Even water can be toxic if we drink too much.

    Coming out of "retirement"...Meg is training for a Figure competition...again!!!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171008551&pagenumber=

    My first ever training journal: Oh snap....Meg-O's training for a Figure comp...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139228463

    Reply With Quote


  16. 04-27-2015, 09:26 AM #16

    Pipsqueak BubsNBean's Avatar


    BubsNBean is offline

    Originally Posted by megdaig View Post

    And when you think about it, everything is toxic in the right quantity. Even water can be toxic if we drink too much.

    We were taught this in Toxicology in vet school: The solution to pollution is dilution. So yeah, anything can be toxic in the right dose

    OP- there is some research out there that suggests that artificial sweeteners do have an effect on satiety, and may make you crave more sugar. But nothing has been proven as causation, I think it's still a theory at this point.

    ___________________________________________________________

    **I once was a fat little hippo... BubsNBean's journey back to healthy**
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170112133
    ___________________________________________________________

    Reply With Quote


  17. 04-27-2015, 01:28 PM #17

    Registered User cdhussey's Avatar


    cdhussey is offline

    I drink diet "stuff" all the time. Right now it's a Sobe lifewater, sweetened with Stevia. Occasionally, I'll get on a kick and worry about the amount of artificial sweeteners I consume. But what I think is probably more worrisome about diet soda, is the acid and what it does to your teeth, and whether or not it's true there is a link between diet soda (namely the phosphoric acid) and calcium in bones.

    I try to limit it to one, diet soda (diet dr. pepper or diet mountain dew or sometimes coke zero) per day. But I still get plenty of the artificial stuff in other beverages.

    Reply With Quote


  18. 04-27-2015, 01:41 PM #18

    Grrrrrrrrrr! mtnliones5's Avatar


    mtnliones5 is offline

    Oh how I love cherry coke zero! I try to limit it to one a day but usually I'll have one every few days.

    And I just love how people say that diet coke makes you fat because it "tricks" your body into thinking you consumed sugar or makes you crave sugar. Pffffft! If you are tracking your intake otherwise it doesn't matter. If you drink diet coke but also order a big mac and supersized fries that's a different story!

    Reply With Quote


  19. 04-30-2015, 09:39 AM #19

    Registered User WolfBeast's Avatar


    WolfBeast is offline

    *Prep coach/Cert.Personal trainer-contact for online training
    *Instagram: amythewolf
    *Texas Crew

    Reply With Quote


  20. 04-30-2015, 11:28 PM #20

    Registered User meeshall's Avatar


    meeshall is offline

    I honestly love soda, just drank a glass of regular pepsi and i'm instantly regretting it. I usually go weeks without one and cave, probably gonna try a once a week deal to keep from craving it so badly. As for diet soda's, i think they're okay but my parents love them so I end up drinking those (plus caffeine free) most of the time.

    Reply With Quote


  21. 05-01-2015, 08:45 AM #21

    Registered User lchoward's Avatar


    lchoward is offline

    About 85% of the time, I drink water. Generally, if I am really tired and need the caffeine or if I just have a craving, I'll have one. So I'll have one a few times a week, give or take. Most of the time I drink diet drinks rather than the regular. Unless I'm feeling sick to my stomach, then a regular Sprite, it is.
    I'm so glad to finally see a place where people are not all, "diet drinks will kill you". As has been said, studies have proven that in moderation, diet drinks are perfectly fine.

    Food Scientist
    Former ballet dancer
    Wanting to see what this body is capable of!

    Reply With Quote


  22. 05-01-2015, 05:31 PM #22

    Registered User theconformed's Avatar


    theconformed is offline

    I find regular and diet soda way too sweet. I have a Sodastream so I make my own carbonated water with homemade / store bought syrups and I can control how sweet it is. Whenever I have alcohol I mix it with lime and plain soda water to try and pretend like I'm not making poor life choices.

    Reply With Quote


  23. 05-02-2015, 12:08 PM #23

    ☼☼☼ whatevergirl's Avatar


    whatevergirl is offline

    I like a diet coke now and again, but I've noticed that since cutting back on my caffeine intake, caffeinated sodas leave me with a bad headache.

    Reply With Quote


  24. 05-17-2015, 12:53 PM #24

    Registered User LatinChilli's Avatar


    LatinChilli is offline

    Originally Posted by Csbbxo View Post

    I usually just stick to my cups of tea (not a coffee drinker) and water. I'm not really too fond on fizzy and sugary drinks (taste wise)

    Out of curiosity, who here consumes diet coke? I mean, although it says to have 0 calories and 0 sugar, it must have some sort of disadvantage? (Apart from causing temporary bloating)

    I would say to stick with green tea, coffee and water...I don't do sodas myself. diet or not I don't think its good for whatever goals you are trying to accomplish

    Reply With Quote


  25. 05-18-2015, 08:17 AM #25

    Registered User gailh's Avatar


    gailh is offline

    ill have a diet coke maybe once a week. i drink water 90% of the time

    Reply With Quote


  26. 05-18-2015, 08:34 PM #26

    hiyo Babygirl95's Avatar


    Babygirl95 is offline

    I drink soda like every other day, but I never choose diet options because 1) I've heard really bad things about the artificial sugars they use and 2)I need the extra calories anyways.

    Reply With Quote


Reply

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  • BB code is On
  • Smilies are On
  • [IMG] code is On
  • HTML code is Off

Forum Rules